Perfection isn't Always Perfect.

        It’s a beautiful late October afternoon over here in B-ville. It’s been an uneventful Monday but also a productive one. Hallie and I have just come in from a half hour outside, playing in the leaves and kicking her mini soccer ball around. Must have been the fresh air because I felt compelled to come over and blog about our recent events in this lovely life I’m lucky enough to live every day.

        I think it’s easy to get swept up in the idea that we don’t have enough. We don’t make enough money, we don’t have enough time to spend doing the things we like to do, and the list could go on. Something I find myself lucky to have discovered young is that if we base our wants and desires on a worldly standard we will never find satisfaction. After all, we’re flooded with examples all day long! As a married woman in a young marriage it’s easy to get caught up in the idea that we don’t have enough to make it in this materialistic world. We could dwell on the idea that we don’t have nearly enough money to purchase a house or another car or whatever seems to be a ‘need’ at the moment.
         
         Recently, Jon and I sat down at our little kitchen table and went over our bills together. My practical mind began whirring and I thought about everything that wasn’t lining up how I would like it. After we had finished putting the money where it counted we both sat there in silence. Jon looked up at me and smiled, “we’re doing alright,” he said. I was kind of shocked at the statement and the calm nature to his voice. I was in the middle of thinking viciously about how I could save more money, not how we were doing ‘alright’! Then, I stopped. I stopped thinking and I just looked at him and how calm he was sitting over there with his pen and paper.
   
       I’ve thought about that moment a lot since it happened and though it wasn’t a romantic dinner over lobster and wine, it was as special as any date could’ve turned out to be. My husband, my best friend and my life companion was standing so firm and confident in a time I really needed him to. A silent reminder that everything doesn’t need to be perfect or in order, that doing alright was enough!
   
       So as we venture through the upcoming seasons of this young life we’ve just begun, the practical, perfectionist side of me can take a break and let things roll out the way they should. I was reminded in recent morning devotion that God originally created us to need rest. In fact, crave rest. So as I slowly master this mom/wife/adult thing, I should remember that rushing around trying to perfect everything is a waste. God has already perfected it.


Thought I would add a little memory from this afternoon. :)


No comments